Re: Marvell Yukon gigabit ethernet card

> Hi all,
>
> Last year I purchased a new amd64 system: an AOpen XC cube EZ482,
> where I have been trying to install Debian for a long time. Still no
> luck with Debian testing amd64 net install, from April 13th 2006. So
> rather than keep trying out daily images and wasting CDs, I'm asking
> here before filing a bug report as per
>   http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
>
> The problem is the Marvell Yukon 88E8053 gigabit Ethernet card,
> integrated on the motherboard. I have seen many bug reports about this
> card, dating from 2004; discover-data, debian-installer, the kernel
> itself -- given Debian's usual focus on quality, I'm surprised the
> problem is still there after all this time. The installer cannot bring
> up the card, and after reporting some network problem it seems to
> hang.

In kernel 2.6.16, the brand new sky2 driver drives this controller.

In kernels prior to 2.6.16, you have to use Syskonnect's modified sk98lin
driver.  Note that there is an sk98lin driver already in the kernel source,
but it won't work with that controller.  Instead you have to go to
http://www.skd.de/e_en/support/driver.html, choose product SK-9E21, and
download and install that driver.

Good luck,
Andrew.