Can't set bash prompt

One of the users of this machine has a wrong bash
prompt. It works well on a virtual console, but on
xterm or gnome-terminal, PS1 is set to \s-\v\$ , which
is very unhelpful. But this user's .bashrc is
identical to mine (as told by md5sum), and I don't
have this problem, so I don't know what to do. It is
also identical to /etc/skel/.bashrc.
I have tested xterm and gnome-terminal, executed from
the "Run application" command dialog, and they have
the same problem.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I googled
first.

http://br.yahoo.com/homepageset.html