smtp with ssl auth

Hi,

our smtp server requiers ssl authentication
(user+passwd over port 465)
It refuses to use SASL, and doesn't work with TSL either
although the latter is often refered to as TSL/SSL -
spent quit some time trying to setup postfix properly, and
tried some others (exim, esmtp, msmtp) as well.

Win applications such as Eudora & co. seem to work well
when username+passwd and "SSL Authentication" is specified.

Could anybody tell me what exactly is happening on the server
side?  What is exactly the protocol that i would need to
setup?

Thanks

imre