Re: ripping CD with SACD format seems impossible

On Sun, 21 May 2006 18:10:11 +0200, Adam Hardy
<adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> Cdparanoia rejects one of my CDs. I am pretty sure that it's due to the SACD format of the CD. I get this error:
>

> cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
> (C) 2001 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus
> FreeBSD porting (c) 2003
>         Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
>
> Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
> http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
>
> 004: Unable to read table of contents header
>
> Unable to open disc.  Is there an audio CD in the drive?
> <<<<<<<<<<

Is it a hybrid disc or a pure SACD-only disc? Have you tried playing
it in a normal stand-alone CD- or DVD-player, something *not* capable
of playing SACD?

If it is a pure SACD-only disc: give up. Your CD- or DVD-rom player is
not capable of reading it and AFAIK no PC optical reader is.

If it is a hybrid disc, it is dual-layer: it contains CD-layer and a
DVD-like layer which contains the SACD information. I think CDparanoia
might be confused by the second layer.

Are you trying this with a CD-rom or DVD-rom drive?

--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com