Re: Script to delete duplicate files

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 07:10:41PM -0700, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Ok, using fdupes -f I have created a file that contains a list of all
> duplicate files. So, what command can a run against that file to delete
> all the files listed in it?
>
> Or since I know that fdupes -f works, could I just do something like:
>
> fdupes -f ./ | rm *
>
> or would that rm everything?
>
> Thanks

OK.  Here's my paranoia.

If there are, say, 8 identical files, does the output of fdupes contain
8 or 7 files?  If it lists all of them, you'll lose all of them.  If 7,
it will leave you one.

Also -- better be sure fdupes is not fooled by symbolic links into
thingking the original is a duplicate.  Or by one file system being
mounted at multiple locations.

-- hendrik