Re: totally rsync based package updating system?

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 11:37:29PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > Say, would the least bandwidth package updating system be one where
> > the user just does
> > rsync mirror:Packages /var/...
> > then for $(each package that needs updating)
> > rsync mirror:uncompressed_package /var/...
> > Hmmm, but then it's not usually just documents that have changed...
> > OK, then how does ubuntu do it? Well then more time is spent
> > compiling. Anyway, just wondering if one put the highest priority on
> > bandwidth...
> > Hmmm, I suppose no way you look at it, you're not going to be able to
> > track sid with just a modem without extra $.
> >

> I don't know if it is in Sid yet, but I think that new version of dpkg
> was recently uploaded to experimental that defaults to using rsync for
> updating the package database at least.

the most recent DWN mentioned something about this as well, for apt
(though I suppose its for dpkg on the backend) using just the changes
in the downloads instead of the whole packages. THis will do so much
to save everyone bandwidth that I can't imagine it'll take long to
trickle down.