Re: How do I use the linux-headers with the linux-source?

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 15:28 +0200, Marco wrote:
> Hi Kilian,
> Excuse me if I break the thread but I write you outside from my office
> with the webmail.
>
> If the linux-source-2.6.15 package already contains the linux kernel
> headers, why in my linux-source directory I can't found the file
> autoconf.h (/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15/include/linux/autoconf.h)?
> and in the linux-headers directory the file exist?
>
> Please help me! :-)
>

> > > I also have to apply some patches to my kernel.
> > > Do I have to apply these patches to linux-source or
> > > linux-headers?
> >
> > You have to patch the linux-source-2.6.15 package.

NOOOO.

If you have, say linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp, the headers package that
MATCHES YOUR RUNNING KERNEL is:
        linux-headers-2.6.15-1-686-smp

This will install that and a few other packages it depends on as well,
like:
        linux-headers-2.6.15-1
        kernel-build-<something>
        package-foo
        bar-package

(examples those are, yes!)

Once you have the proper linux-headers in place, most if not all things
that need to compile against the headers will do so without problems.

One thing you need to remove though, the linux-source-2.6.15 directory
and the "linux" symbolic link to that linux-source-2.6.15, otherwise,
you will get compilation errors.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.