Re: quesiton

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 11:29:19PM -0400, LavenderHerb@aol.com wrote:
> I purchased a used laptop with Windows operating system, but I don't have
> the disk.

common problem. what kind of laptop? you might want to subscribe to
debian-laptop as well.

> Can I install Linux directly over Windows?

yes. you can also install it next to windows, if you feel you must.

> Will it wipe out Windows  and
> everything in the computer?

It can. but it doesn't have to. Ever used linux before? Do some
reading.

You can install what is called a dual-boot or multi-boot system where
you can have multiple operating systems living on your hard-drive and
boot up whichever one you want to use. It can be a little complicated,
but is definitely do-able. There are many helpful, knowledgeable
people on this list provided you are willing to do a couple of things:
1) please stick to debian here, if you wander off into fedora or suse
or whatever, you'll have to look to their community for help. 2) you
have to be willing to do some work on your own including googling your
pants off to learn stuff. 3) be willing to take responses like RTFM
(read the f[ull|scking] manual) with a grain of salt. 4) ask smart
questions -- http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html. 5) be
prepared to hose that system altogether with, in your case, no hope
for recovery as you have no disk :)

I hope you make it, and welcome, if appropriate.