Re: Blacklisting does not work...

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:35:54AM +1000, Fawad Nazir wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 5.10, Linux v.2.6.16.5 and trying to use hostap_cs
> driver for my prism chipset card instead of orinoco_cs.
>
> I am trying to blacklist orinoco & orinoco_cs drivers. I have tried
> three things:
>
> 1. I added these driver names in /etc/hotplug/blacklist
>
> 2. I also tried to do:
> fawad@Ubuntu-01:/etc/hotplug$ echo 'blacklist orinoco' | sudo tee -a
> /etc/modprobe.d/my_blacklist
> blacklist orinoco
> fawad@Ubuntu-01:/etc/hotplug$ echo 'blacklist orinoco_cs' | sudo tee
> -a /etc/modprobe.d/my_blacklist
> blacklist orinoco_cs
>
> 3. I also tried $sudo modprobe -r orinoco_cs
>                      $sudo modprobe -r orinocu_cs
>
> But still when i plug my PCMCIA card, automatically orinoco_cs driver
> is loaded and is assigned to my card.
>
> fawad@Ubuntu-01:/etc/hotplug$ ls -al /sys/class/net/eth0/device/driver
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 2006-05-17 10:26
> /sys/class/net/eth0/device/driver ->
> ../../../../../bus/pcmcia/drivers/orinoco_cs
>
> I dont know how is this card being loaded. Please let me know, how can
> i get rid of this driver.

First off: Ubuntu is not debian--you'll probably get better help on a
ubuntu list, which can be found somewhere off of 'http://www.ubuntu.com'

One apparent difference is the use of hotplug--in standard debian
testing/unstable installs, udev has absorbed and conflicts with hotplug
so the best I can tell you is to try and install udev and set up udev
rules for it--with the caveat that I have no idea in what horrible ways
that may break a Ubuntu install!!

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
<nonlinear> .net is microsofts perverted version of a java networked