Re: Best way to boot between debian and suse?

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 09:08:19AM +1000, Charlie wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 02:25, dfp10@logical.net wrote this for perusal by us
> all:
> >---> Could you advise me on the best setup for me to switch between SuSE and
> > Debian? ---> I have two 80gb hard drives and a CDROM r/w and a DVD r/w
> > drive. ---> Is it best to put both systems on different partitions of the
> > same hard drive or ---> one on each drive?
> >---> Should the drives be primary and secondary or both primary?
> >---> Also, what  are the best placements for the CDROM and DVD drives?
> >---> Is it best to have a DOS partition on one or other of the hard drives?
> >---> Many thanks for advice
> >---> Don Parsons
> >---> dfp10@capital.net
> >---> --
>
> When experimenting to discover what flavour of Linux I liked best, I had
> several Linux distros on one hard drive
>
> They shared the same swap partition, but when I attempted to use the same home
> partition, their were constant conflicts. Each had their own "/", /home, /usr
> partition. I didn't go further than that. There was a windows partition and
> others that were never formatted on any of the installs, like documents and
> graphics and the virtual memory partition for windows. I used Lilo mostly
> also for booting at that time.

there was some discussion a couple of weeks ago about this, so check
the archives. One point though was instead of setting up an actual
/home partition, leave /home in the root of each distro and then set
up a mount to a "documents" or whatever partition which is mounted
within each home. This was the "." config files in each home remain
controlled by their respective distros, but your files and such are
accessible from each.

so each distro looks like this:

/home/<user>/documents

where the fstab says

/dev/hdx /home/documents <fstype> ...

then that documents directory is mounted on boot and is transparently
accessible to each distro.