Re: Best way to boot between debian and suse?

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 02:25, dfp10@logical.net wrote this for perusal by us
all:
>---> Could you advise me on the best setup for me to switch between SuSE and
> Debian? ---> I have two 80gb hard drives and a CDROM r/w and a DVD r/w
> drive. ---> Is it best to put both systems on different partitions of the
> same hard drive or ---> one on each drive?
>---> Should the drives be primary and secondary or both primary?
>---> Also, what  are the best placements for the CDROM and DVD drives?
>---> Is it best to have a DOS partition on one or other of the hard drives?
>---> Many thanks for advice
>---> Don Parsons
>---> dfp10@capital.net
>---> --

When experimenting to discover what flavour of Linux I liked best, I had
several Linux distros on one hard drive

They shared the same swap partition, but when I attempted to use the same home
partition, their were constant conflicts. Each had their own "/", /home, /usr
partition. I didn't go further than that. There was a windows partition and
others that were never formatted on any of the installs, like documents and
graphics and the virtual memory partition for windows. I used Lilo mostly
also for booting at that time.

But depending what Linux distro I was in I often had to change the permission
of the spare partitions. So chown them in different distro's again or I would
get error messages. It wasn't onerous because I was trying things out but for
constant use it might be a bit too much trouble. The distros I used were
Linux Red Hat, Linux Mandrake and Linux Slackware.

HTH
Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524