Re: dhcp, router and debian

Alle Meije Wink wrote:

Hi,

I have installed a D-Link DI-524 wireless/ethernet router between my
cable modem and my PC. It worked fine on the first 5 (or so) sessions,
but now when I start up debian, the startup item `ATM' takes ages to
finish (it says `exim4' in the end) and I have no internet connection

I'm sorry, yes it was MTA.

The thing is, after my computer halts (and no wireless connections are
in use), I usually switch off the whole box by switching off the power
socket. So when I fire up the system, the modem + router are usually
just starting as well.
In some way, this works for windows and not for linux. After I boot in
windows and restart in linux (without switching off the power socket),
the connection is just fine.

<SNIP>

The only thing I can think of is that it is the router that cannot get a connection to the internet/my ISP. Although that does not make sense, does it? I mean, the router is a standalone device, that does not need a windows or linux PC to run (maybe for setting it up via its html page, but that's it).

The setup html page for the router (the dhcp part) has got fields to fill in (like DNSes, masks, etc) but usually it runs without those. Would it be necessary to fill in these values to guarantee it working with linux? Can't remember ever being told my ISP's DNS.

I am certainly no expert in this, but... since everything works fine from a restart (with the router not powered down) it sounds to me like you are timing out on dhcp, or something like that, while the router is making its connection, when you do a full powerdown/reboot. Windows may try for longer, or try a second time. Is there some reason that you need to power down the router? Could you put the router on a seperate power outlet and leave it up all the time, or, at least power it up a minute or so before powering the system on?
--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail