Re: Another Newbie Troubles with Debian

Dov Oxenberg wrote:
Hello, First off I would like to say thanks to all of you for being
so kind in welcoming me to the list, and for your willingness to be
of assistance. I am having a similar issue to the user who posted
earlier this morning saying he was unable to load the KDE or GNOME
and suspected it was a hardware issue. For me, I got past the initial
setup via netinst.  I am at the point now where I am getting the
Debian Configuration screeen and I am being prompted to choose what
software to install (Desktop environment, Web Server, DNS Server,
etc.)  I am guessing this is the aptitude application mentioned in
the installation docs???

Anyway, according to the instructions in
the docos the key binding for selecting the software you wish to
install is the "+" sign....well, I am pressing this key on the
keyboard to choose the desktop environment software, but it is not
being selected!  It seems as though the only keys that work are the
up and down arrow keys. I have run through this part about three or
four times now, and each instance results in Debian being installed,
but all I get is a command line login, no desktop.

If I recall correctly, you are running the 'tasksel' program to select
installation tasks (ie. Desktop environment etc.). For this, the keybindings of aptitude don't work.

Just move up and down with the arrow keys and press the 'space bar' to select or deselect your options.

Good luck with the rest of your installation!

By the way, you don't have to start installing from the beginning: just login as root at the command line (typing root <enter> password <enter>) and run base-config (enter 'base-config' without quotes, once you logged in)

Jump to 'install software' and make your selections.

Once you have your system running, you can install individual software packets by running 'aptitude' from the command line. For tasks like 'desktop environment' that require many different packages, 'tasksel' is the program that is also used by the installer.

Hope this helps.

Johannes

(instructions for Sarge)