firefox printing not displaying Letter (8.5x11 inch) choice paper, closest is hp-us-government-letter (203x253 mm)

Dear Gurus,

I have got one of my Debian boxes into a funny state. :)

I have many different machines, usually running sid or sarge.

On one of my sid machines I am trying to print from firefox and I see that it
has trouble with  printing.

When I push print the error dialog that pops up says

There was a problem in printing because the paper size you specified is not
supported by your printer.

I notive that when i click on the Print, the print dialog gives me a more
complext printer properties dialog than usual.

Usually it just has choices for
paper size
color or black and white
gap from endge to margin

where paper size is set to
Letter (8.5x11 inch)

now on this broken machine it gives me instead

job title
paper size
plex mode
resolution quality
colorspace
color
fonts (download fonts to printer)
gap from edget

In principle This sounds better _ more choice!
However the drop down list of paper size has lots of very weird choices. The
closest to letter size seems to be
hp-us-government-letter (203x253 mm) and more weirder stuff, and even that
wont print to my local hp laserjet 1200 postscript printer.

How did this happen and how can I get rid of this and back to usual on all my
other machines?

Mitchell