Re: ieee that doesn't suck

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 22:31 -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> I think  I just wasted a bunch of money on a IEEE1394 firewire card.
>
> I can load modules and see a device on the PCI bus using lspci.
> But there isn't anything in the /proc/bus/ that matches 'ieee1394'
>
> I can't get any more information on how to debug this crap or what to do with
> the ieee1394 device mailing list.  So I'm just going to appeal the greater
> population of the distrobution I am using.
>
> Can someone identify a currently available PCI based IEEE1394 card that doesn't
> suck?
>
> I can't run gscanbus because it crashes my system.
> I can't get any significant logs from dmesg or anything else.
> I can't get any response from the ieee1394 mailing list.
> This reminds me when I first tried to use USB devices under linux, but I was
> hoping that firewire was a bit more mature than USB was 5 years ago.
>
> Yeah, I'm frustrated, but I'm also stuck.

Tom,

This is not a solution for your problems, but it might provide you with
some useful information: If I have some piece of hardware that is giving
me a hard time I try a liveCD (knoppix, ubuntu, gentoo, ...) that has
good hardware support (i like knoppix and ubuntu, don't use gentoo that
much). Once the system is booted, you can check out your new hardware to
see if it works. If it does, you might be able to determine all the
necessary modules and packages. If it doesn't, I'm afraid that a
solution might not be that simple ...

I have firewire both on my laptop as my desktop, and it works out of the
box (I do use ubuntu on my user systems).

Hope my advice was at least a bit useful.

It might help (not to me, but maybe to others) if you provided some
information about the device (lspci output for instance).

Good luck

Philippe De Ryck