Re: script with date operation??

On 5/13/06, Bruno Buys <bruno.grupos@gmail.com> wrote:
I am working on a script that needs to compute days. It needs to know
how many days have gone since some given date. for example, if I run it
today, it will need to know how many days have passed since, say, Feb,
02, 2006. And add the corresponding number to a variable.
I am looking at the man page for 'date', but it doesn't seem to help
much. Also, apt-cache search won't do better.
Is there any nice tool to operate dates at the console?
thanks!

Since you're doing this in a script, it presumably doesn't need to be
done in a single line.  I'd start with
date -d "Feb 2, 2006" +"%s"
to get the number of seconds since the epoch for midnight on the date
specified.  Then I'd do
date +"%s"
to get the same for the current time.  Subtract those, and you get the
number of seconds since Feb 2, 2006.  There are 86400 seconds in a
day.  Divide, throw out the remainder, and you've got the number of
days since Feb 2, 2006.

If you *must* have a one-liner:
expr \( `date +"%s"` - `date -d "Feb 2, 2006" +"%s"` \) / 86400

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh