Re: testing upgrade = dog's breakfast

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 22:24 +0200, lee wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 11:35:42AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
>
> > Well, if you had installed Sarge or Etch, they would have upgraded your
> > Exim v3 install to Exim v4. I've done the transition a couple of hundred
> > times, it has never failed me except on a hand crafted config.
>
> Neither Sarge, nor testing upgrade Exim3 to Exim4. Default on Sarge
> was Exim3 when I installed it, default on testing is Exim4. Since the
> configuration is much different between the two versions, it is _very
> good_ policy that Exim3 is not upgraded unless you do it yourselfe.

Okay, where were you when it asks: "or do you have a handcrafted exim3
config" and do the change over manually (unconfigured until you fix it)

Every single machine I have upgraded is now part of a cluster of
machines that use a standard "little files" setup and I just have a
package I install that puts everything in there I need. (along with my
vhosting setup)

> A switch from lilo to grub is also not made in the upgrading process,
> but that's something I would whish to have an automatic upgrade for
> --- though that's probably difficult to do unless you stick to the
> kernel packages from the distribution instead of making your own
> kernel.

Again, if Lilo *IS* installed it does not change to grub. If grub *IS*
installed it does not go BACK to Lilo unless you changed your "/"
filesystem to XFS.

> You likewise get Cyrus 1.5 with Sarge. I don't know what it upgrades
> to when upgrading to testing, but imho it _should_ be upgraded to a
> more recent 1.5 only. Cyrus 2.x is much different from 1.5, and an
> upgrade is something that is definitely to be done manually, after
> reading the docs and, if possible, after having the upgrading tried
> out in a testing environment on a copy of the real data.

Please read what I write and not assume what you think I wrote.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.