Re: grub and lilo

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 21:24 -0600, Art Edwards wrote:
> When I updated to testing on Friday night, lilo became the default boot
> loader. I have removed lilo. Grub is still present, and I am trying to
> install grub as the boot loader, following the instructions on its
> website. When issue the command
>
> grub> find /boot/grub/stage
>
> I receive
>
> Error 15: File not found
>
> However, I can find it.
>
> theory/boot/grub>ls -l stage1
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Feb 19 15:08 stage1
>
> What is the problem?

as root:

        grub-install /dev/<boot-device>

Where boot-device == /dev/hdX or /dev/sdX

Where X == a or b or c or d or e or f etc..

For my current system, I would use:

        grub-install /dev/hde

I hope this helps.

and 2.4.14 is not *ANY* standard kernel in Debian Testing.

http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/

The only kernels I show for the x86 arch is:

        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-586tsc
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686-smp
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-k6
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-k7
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-k7-smp
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.15-1-486
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.15-1-686
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-generic
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.15-1-em64t-p4
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.15-1-em64t-p4-smp
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.15-1-k7
        http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.15-1-k7-smp

Not to mention the XEN kernels and so on. So until you get a proper
kernel in your machine for Etch (testing) you are not going to get much
help with that.

Also, when you finish doing the "grub-install", make sure one of those
kernels, the one that fits your machine is installed. Then make sure you
run "update-grub" to fix the booting list.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.