Re: "No screens found"

> From: Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: "No screens found"
>
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 09:37:04PM -0600, Alex Gulla
> wrote:
> > Hi my name is Alex and I'm trying to setup Debian
> 3.1.  I  have it all
> > setup and i have kde and kdm installed and i cant
> seem to get them
> > working.  whenever i enter "kdm" into the prompt,
> the screen goes
> > completely black, then it just goes back to the
> prompt and nothing has
> > changed.  When i type "startx" in the prompt, it
> goes through a whole
> > bunch of what looks to be starting up X but then
> all i see is "Error:
> > NO SCREENS FOUND".  I'm trying to install Debian
> on a Dell Optiplex
> >
> > --

Hi
I have another one for you. If you want to be patiente
and investigate your problem go ahead and modify your
xorg.conf or XF86Config or whatever until you find the
right settings for your card. What I always do however
is to use a knoppix or kanotix live cd and see the
xorg.conf file that is dinamically generated by these
systems. I just copy it to a diskette or whatever and
then compare and modify (or even replace) my debian
xorg.conf. After all knoppix and co. are debian based
systems. With this method you wont learn a lot about
your system but it will solve your problem quick!
(assuming of course that the live cds deal well with
your hardware :-)

good luck,

Felipe Leon.