Re: Wireless Network Cards

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 05:13:02PM +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>Bob:
>>
>> Is it as easy as pluging the card in and it all just working, or do I
>> need to install some other packages? I'm running Etch with a 2.6 kernel.
>
>It depends on your card. And most probably (if you go out and just buy
>some random card) it will involve some work. It may even be impossible
>if you pick the wrong card.
>
>You might want to google around for supported cards. Chipsets which I
>have positive experience with are prism54, ipw2100, ipw2200 and the
>atheros chips (supported by madwifi). All except the latter one are in
>the vanilla kernel (but I don't think there are PCI versions of the ipw
>chips). It helps if you know how to compile a custom kernel and/or how
>to compile kernel modules against the appropriate linux-headers
>package.
>
>Your biggest problem will be to find out what chipset a specific card
>you are holding in your hands has. But every project I mentioned
>maintains some sort of compatiblity list.

Yes, that is a BIG problem. Especially since quite a few manufacturers
are in the habit of switching the chipset without disclosing that
anywhere on the boxes :-( When I was shoping around I ended up buying
from an online store that offered Linux compatible HW. It ended up being
about £5 more (including shipping) but it was worth not having to worry
about compatibility.

The RT cards are also well supported in Linux, the package is called
rt2500-source and the module can be built with module-assistant.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Here's the social reason that DRM fails: keeping an honest user honest
is like keeping a tall user tall.
     -- Cory Doctorow, Microsoft Research DRM talk