Re: Warning: Latest Kernel Sources on Sid

On Monday 08 May 2006 18:11, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 17:36 +0300, David Baron wrote:

> > > m-a == Debian's Module Assistant.
> > >
> > > Yes, it will get the stuff proper for the driver.
> > >
> > > Now the library links are taken care of by the nvidia-glx and
> > > nvidia-glx-dev packages.
> >
> > Neither module effected was from a Debian package, however.
> > Kqemu is "non-free" and made from source.
> > The nvidia videa driver was downloaded from their site and as I said, it
> > has its own installation program. (What is the difference between what is
> > on Debian and theirs?)
>
> The Debian nVidia is a much easier and more updateable version. And you
> get an integrated package for Debian for the drivers. ATIs stuff is
> there too. Plus TONS of other modules, like wifi, crypto etc... ta boot.

ATI stuff was why I went over to the Geforce.

> How long does it take for you to run your installer and get the proper
> kernel compiled and/or then the proper headers for the nVidia module to
> compile against, how many steps are there?

Their installer is simple: run it with root privileges.
1. Checks for precompiled version on their ftp.
2. None? Compiles it
3. Places it in ..../drivers/video
4. Will modify xorg.conf to use this driver. Saves old file just in case
5. Voile.

> Are you putting the module where it should go, according to Debian's
> policy? If not, then you will always have cruft building up. Plus you'll
> no longer have to worry if the installer puts the links in the proper
> directories for the video libraries... and the recent changes to X.org
> have also been included in compilation of the nVidia Module.
> (hint: apt-get install module-assistant)

I have it.

> Using module-assistant (m-a is a shortname for module-assistant) for the
> *CURRENT* Kernel you are running doing:
>
>         m-a update ; m-a a-i nvidia
>
> Does the update, install of everything needed and compiles and installs
> the resulting deb package file.
>
> Of course, the nvidia-glx and the nvidia-glx-dev will need to be
> installed too.

Are all these kept more up-to-date and better running than the manufacturer's
module? I have heard recommendations for both sides of this.

> kqemu, isn't a kernel module... I am sorry I mislead you in any way on
> that.

kqemu IS a kernel module, .ko. Needs be compiled against kernel source and
installed in .../drivers/misc.