esound clobbers OSS?

My system is stock Sarge, with Gnome and stock Debian kernel.

I rarely use OSS programs, and when I did try to use one recently I found
that OSS was not working. After some investigation I found that it started working again after I unchecked the "enable sound server startup" option in
the Gnome applications->desktop preferences->sound dialog box.  Now all
programs seem to have sound, but I can only run one OSS program at a time.
(ALSA programs still share the soundcard.)

The esound related packages installed are: esound, esound-clients, and
esound-common.  I learned that ensound conflicts with esound-alsa,
and since I use ALSA I speculated that I should be running esound-alsa
instead of esound, but when I tried to install esound-alsa I got the
following error message:

  Package esound-alsa is not available, but is referred to by another package.
  is only available from another source
  However the following packages replace it:
    esound
  E: Package esound-alsa has no installation candidate

Now I am speculating that during one of my routine security updates
esound-alsa got replaced with esound, and is the cause of my OSS problems.
Thanks for any help.