Re: Is it possible to simply copy the kernel from one machine to another and use it?

I have done it often, and even the entire partition, BUT:

On Debian now you should always use the same partition number as the initrd.img has been set (at install by mkinitrd.yaird) to the partition listed in /etc/fstab. This is something new with Debian, and I have never encounted this problem with other versions of Linux. One way of bypassing this problem is using the kernel from RIP(RecoveryIsPossible) and then doing a mkinitrd.

The X-windows environment may not work unless using same video hardware.
You may have to rebuild or reconfigure this.