Re: Is it possible to simply copy the kernel from one machine to another and use it?

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 12:33:20AM +0200, Joris Huizer wrote:
| Christopher Nelson wrote:

If you copy every component needed by the kernel.  As an example, see
the kernel packages provided by debian.  They are build on a buildd
somewhere, then installed on your machine and they work.

| >Probably doesn't have to be said, but this also assumes the same
| >architecture.  A mips kernel would probably not work on an i386 machine
| >(unless I'm mistaken in how generic the distribution kernels are--I
| >build my own).
| >

| It'd be *really* cool if linux & gcc/as somehow manage to produce code
| that is meaningfull on different architectures ;-)

It could, but since you have the source no one is terribly interested.
See Apple's "Universal Binary" for proof of the concept.  (they put
the PPC and x86 binaries in the same file and the loader chooses the
correct machine code at run time)

You could also set up cross-compilation if you needed to.  (run the
compiler on a x86 but build binaries for a mips)

| <I think writing such code would be a total nightmare>

It wouldn't be any different than it is now.  You simply follow the
rules and the compiler is the one that deals with the CPU's
instruction set and memory layout and so on.

-D

--
\begin{humor}
Disclaimer: