Re: What's wrong with X forwarding / remote X logins?

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 12:21:04PM +0200, Christian Pernegger wrote:
| Hi!

| Is X11's network transparency a thing of the past and not supposed to
| work anymore?

No, it still works.  I use it fairly frequently.

| X forwarding of single apps via ssh:
| - win32 (wine) programs crash on startup

I don't use wine, so I can't comment here.

| - cinepaint crashes when I try to access the file menu

I haven't used cinepaint either.

| - rest is hit or miss

I haven't had problems other than performance (on low-bandwidth or
high-latency or low-reliability networks) such as OOo redrawing tool
bar buttons frequently.

I did see, the other day, NetBeans (a Java/Swing app) running on Linux
fail to display properly to -some- Solaris/SPARC displays.  This
appeard to be a misconfiguration on those displays as some of the
other Suns systems displayed just fine.

| - trying to log in the same user locally leads to about half of
| gnome's icons to be broken. (does gnome not support concurrent logins
| of the same user?)

No, I don't think gnome would be very happy about concurrent logins.
It likes to control various files in your home directory (eg gconf
stuff and the like) and would surely run into race conditions if two
instances are fighting over them.  Gnome is generally not happy about
using the same user account for multiple versions of gnome.

HTH,
-D

--
If your life is a hard drive,