Re: moving the boot harddrive to a different IDE cable/position

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 07:24:47AM -0500, Mitch Marks wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have an installation of Sarge, being used as a web server primarily, on
> hardware originally designed as a Windows desktop machine.  This was
> installed on a spare disk we had sitting around, after some sort of drive
> failure on the previous running system.
>
> So we left the bad disk in place (on the primary data connector on the
> first IDE channel) in the hope of being able to recover it later; and the
> new disk is on the secondary data connector on the second IDE cable (the
> one that also goes to the CDROM), and is sitting unfastened in the open
> case.  The new disk thus shows up as /dev/hdd .  We never did recover the
> old disk, but have done some restore-from-backup and some site-re-creation
> on the new installation, and are ready to go forward with that and forget
> the old disk.
>
> Now I'd like to properly fasten down the new disk and close up the case,
> etc.  Probably the old disk should be taken out and the new one put in its
> place, in the main drive bay and on the main IDE cable.
>
> .... Now it's booting from /dev/hdd1.  Will it detect that there's no
> drive there anymore and choose the drive it does find?  Or should I
> prepare it beforehand?  I haven't previously dealt with re-targeting the
> booting.  Is there more to it than editing the menu.lst file?
>
> Currently the bottom of the /boot/grub/menu.lst file looks like this:
> <snip>
> Can I just imitate these entries but make it /dev/hda1?
>
> Would it be better to just change these, or to leave them and add copies
> edited to use dev/hda1?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you can give,

When I do this, it is usually necessary to modify boot/grub/menu.lst and
/etc/fstab.

You will need to run grub-install again if you had it installed in the MBR
of the old disk (you didn't say if it was left powered up).

I would create additional entries in menu.lst until you have it booting
successfully in the new configuration, then remove the old entries.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com