Re: Gnome/KDE resources

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:16:16 +0100
Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> Cool. Do you launch them just by kicking off kdesktop and gnome-panel
> somewhere in the openbox config?

I run fluxbox and start just about everything extra from my .xsession
file and have the option for the fluxbox panel to be visible set to
false in the fluxbox init file with a fair percentage of those being
windowmaker dock apps.

# Begin .xsession
gnome-settings-daemon &
gnome-panel &
skippy &
docker &
wmifs -i eth0 &
wmwave &
wmifs -i eth2 &
wmmon &
wmix &
wmnetselect -e /usr/bin/firefox -t &
fbpager -w &
wmShutdown &
exec fluxbox
# End .xsession

With the Gnome settings daemon started this way it allows me to change
things from the settings menu on the Gnome panel or from the Gnome
control center and have those settings applied when I start my X
session. At least for the mouse cursors and probably for other things
as well I have to restart the X session before I see the changes, where
in a full gnome session the changes are immediate.

I have not tried to do the same thing with KDE stuff, but I do run a
more KDE centric distrobution where I use fluxbox as the window manager
for KDE with an X session like this:

# Begin .xsession
export KDEWM=fluxbox
exec startkde
# End .xsession

In this configuration I disable the option in KDE of showing the
desktop icons, which disables right click stuff too so you have access
to the right click stuff provided by the window manager.

I have used Metacity with KDE this way as well with the addition of
starting gnome-settings-daemon from the KDE autostart directory so my
choice of GTK themes and Metacity window boarders would stick and also
running a single gnome panel at the top of the screen and kicker at
the bottom.

One of the things that sold me on using Fluxbox as my window manager
was the ability to put any application windows together to form a single
tabbed window just by using the middle mouse button to drag the title
bar of one window over the title bar of another. It's not a feature I
use heavily but it does come in handy if you've got some on going task
that has you doing stuff in 2 or 3 different applications or
with multiple windows of a single application that doesn't provide tabs
on it's own.

Later, Seeker