Mounting Disk Images

Virtualization may be the wave of the future but "communications" between the
host and the virtual machine are needed:

How might I mount qemu (raw) disk images and read and write to such files. I
remember having done so once with a file used as /home in a qemu knoppix
session. Forgot what I did and these were images I created and mkfs'd myself.
The file I have in mind is an image I created by dd and then used qemu to
install windows to this image.

I can install downloads by downloading using the images IE but I have these
files elsewhere so wish to use directly or copy to the image file.