Re: Request for statistics

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 08:51:50PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Anyone out there have an archive of all the d-u traffic going to back to
> 1 April and a MUA that facilitates quickly counting the number of
> messages in a thread.  Or maybe all the messages in an mbox or IMAP
> account where they can be scanned with a script?  Specifically, I am
> interseted to know:
>
> How many message were in our recent politics thread?  (initial message
> in thread: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/04/msg02779.html)
> What percentage of the d-u traffic (by number of messages) did that
> thread take up?
> How many participants were there in the thread?

I have most of du from that time period (back much farther, currently
over 21,800 and coutning emails...) I use mutt and set the display limit to
"Politics" and "Social Contract" and "Oncay" for a total count of 857
emails. "Politics" alone is 275, "Social Contract" is 495 and "Oncay"
is 87. I'm not sure where the line fell for each for each of these
wandering OT, so leave that to you.

I get roughly 5000 emails from April 1 to today.

I have no reliable way of counting participants without actually
counting, but I think the Politics topic only really had a handful of
participants. maybe a dozen serious and another dozen dabblers.

weeee....