Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 08:48, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> Do you have any stats or figures or studies to back up what you are
> saying?  The only thing I can think of that is frequently done by
> municipalities is local power monopolies.

Portland, Oregon is a great argument against privatization of critical
infrastructure.  For the longest time, it was the poster child of
privatization, with Portland General Electric as the local, private, power
utility and residential power monopoly (large customers could also pick
Pacific Power in recent years if they're willing to foot the bill for the
cable), right up to the moment they were bought by Enron and our neighbors to
the south decided that they were too good to pay for electricity back in
2001.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber