Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:

> I would *certainly* want to put private profit interest above a social
> system.  Know why?  There is no stronger motivator in business than
> profit.  Please look at the quality and level of service of monopoly
> phone carrier ISPs (bellsouth, sbc, etc) compared to the indenepdents
> (SpeakEasy sticks out in my mind).  SpeakEasy is *cheaper* and has
> service that is light years ahead the monopoly carriers.

I don't see how a profit oriented business could be social.  How would
you enable people from the lower end of society to get their children
educated?

> What you are saying is that if the government controlled everything, we
> would be better off.  That might work someplace like the Star Trex: TNG
> universe, but places like Cuba and the USSR have shown what that would
> really be like.

No, I don't want the government to control everything.  I want it to
control natural monopolies like the road system.  And I want it to
ensure that nobody is left out and everyone has the basics to survive
and to get a chance in live.

Matthias