Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On May 2, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Rich Johnson wrote:

On May 2, 2006, at 7:22 AM, Matthias Julius wrote:

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:

[...snip...]

If people are concerned about their ability to pay for education
individually, they can form co-ops.  Basically, you are subsidizing
other people's kids going to school. Even if it doesn't bother you, it
bothers me.

While co-ops might help somewhat I don't think they are the solution. What does it help when a bunch of poor guys form a co-op? They still
would not have funds to send their kids to a private school.  Maybe
they could hire a teacher.  What do you think where the quality of
that education goes?

Do either of you two have any real-world  experience with co-ops?

Yes.  I have health insurance and insurance on my automobile and my
home.  Those are all essentially co-ops.

Really? Most insurance providers are for-profit ventures --for investor's profit, that is.

FWIW, I belong to a small insurance co-op. ~$300/yr per $100K insured wood-frame building. That's ~ 20% cheaper than what I could find for a brick building in a region without co-operative insurance companies. AND I get a refund of ~10% in years when losses are low.

What's the biggest patronage refund you've received from your insurance provider?

I'd love to find a good co-operative insurance company for auto and health insurance as well, but it's just not available.