Re: rerunning autodetect

On 5/2/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 05:45:28 -0500, Mark Tilford wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Christopher Nelson <chris@cavein.org> wrote:
> >On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 09:29:21PM -0500, Mark Tilford wrote:

[...]

> >> The /etc/network/devices lines related to eth0 were:
> >> auto eth0
> >> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >>
> >> /sbin/ifconfig/eth0 up gives response
> >> eth0:  ERROR while getting interface flags:  No such device.
> >>
> >> What does this error message mean, and how do I fix it?  apt-get is a
> >> great program, but it's nearly useless until I can get my internet
> >> connection working.
> >
> >Try just '/sbin/ifconfig' without the eth0 appended to it.  What is the
> >output of a 'lspci |grep Ethernet'?  That should tell you if the new
> >box' ethernet controller is recognised by the system.
>
> /sbin/ifconfig only lists loopback.
> lspci | grep Ethernet yields nothing.
> The card is a 3c509.

Try to modprobe the 3c509 and/or the 3c59x kernel module. Maybe the
device will be created then, or you get an error message which gives us
a clue.

modprobe 3c509
/sbin/ifconfig/eth0 up
dhclient

and I can connect out!

Thank you to all who helped!

Now I just have do a long download of everything...
Any other likely gotchas that may occur because I installed on a
different computer?