Re: freemind

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 10:42:55AM -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> >Mark Grieveson wrote:
> >
> >>Hello.  A while back I installed Freemind 0.8.0, and it works fine.
> >>I run Sarge. . .
> >>Synaptic, and apt, however, a month later, have suddenly decided they
> >>don't like Freemind 0.8.0.  I now get this very strange message when
> >>I attempt to do a dist-upgrade:
> >>
> >>freemind will be downgraded . . .
> >>
> >>"downgraded"?  Since when does apt downgrade programs?  What is
> >>causing this?  Can I somehow tell my computer to stop this?  I would
> >>like to be able to check for upgrades without my computer deciding to
> >>downgrade and delete stuff.
> >>
> >Hi,
> >
> >what does "apt-cache policy freemind" (on the console) tell you?
> >
> >Cheers, Eric
>
> Hi.  This is what "apt-cache policy freemind" says:
>
> debian:/home/mark# apt-cache policy freemind
> freemind:
>  Installed: 0.8.0+01-4
>  Candidate: 0.7.1-6
>  Version Table:
> *** 0.8.0+01-4 0
>          9 http://eric.lavar.de experimental/ Packages
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>     0.8.0-1 0
>          9 http://eric.lavar.de experimental/ Packages
>     0.7.1-6 0
>       1001 ftp://gulus.usherbrooke.ca sarge/contrib Packages
>
> Mark

Look into "apt-pinning". you can "pin" a particular package to a
specific version and control what apt does with it. something like:

Package: freemind
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 1001

in your /etc/apt/preferences file should do it. man apt_preferences.

you could also specify a version with

Pin: v=0.8.0