Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On Sunday 30 April 2006 02:33, Mumia W <mumia.w.18.spam@earthlink.net>
was heard to say:
> > "Not only was private education in demand, but it was quite
> > successful. Literacy in the North rose from 75 percent to between
> > 91 and 97 percent between 1800 and 1840, the years prior to
> > compulsory schooling and governmental provision and operation of
> > education. In the South during the same time period, the rate
> > grew among the white population from between 50 and 60 percent to
> > 81 percent. (Sheldon Richman, Separating School & State, p. 38.)
> > ..."
> >
> > This year, by comparison, a study by the American Institutes for
> > Research found that more than 75 percent of students at 2-year
> > colleges and more than 50 percent of students at 4-year colleges
> > in 2006 "lack the skills to perform complex literacy tasks ... ."
> > These are today's college kids, mind you -- supposedly the cream
> > of the American crop, youths on whose schooling our unionized
> > government propaganda camps have squandered more treasure per
> > pupil than any other society in history.
> > ===========End Quote
>
> Your quotes don't help your argument for two reasons. You're not
> comparing public to private,

Excuse me, prior to 1840 education was all private. Therefore, your
first "reason" is false.

> and the people making those statements
> don't begin to envision what society would be like without public
> schooling.

Excuse me, they are explicitly stating that, without public schooling,
literacy rates were head and shoulders beyond what they are right now
with virtually universal coerced "education".

Your second reason is false.

> The purpose of the public programs is to ensure that *something* is
> there for the middle class and poor. It doesn't have to be
> gold-plated.

Your premise is false. The "middle class" and "poor" were doing very
well indeed without coercive "public" schooling.

It is very clear you have never read the written reasons for "public"
schooling of those who agitated for the programs, nor did you bother
to read any of the links I provided.

If you won't even be bothered to check your own facts, why are
you "discussing" the issue?

Curt-

- --
September 11th, 2001