messed up my X-windows in Etch

Hi,

Following a recent upgrade of my Etch box I have mucked up my X. I no longer get the graphical log-on, but after logging in startx does bring get me into my fluxbox desktop. In the past xdebconfigurator followed by dexconf solved all my problems, so I tried that. Unfortunately, xdebconfigurator crashed X-windows (ie the monitor went black, displaying only the message that no signal was being received). So then I dried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. I bumbled my way through that, after which I couldn't get into X at all.

I retried the xdebconfigurator/deconf, and this time it worked, but the screen looks a little wonky (resolution seems off somehow, and maximized windows spill over the edge of the screen).

So I know I've broken something, but I don't know what. I'd be happy to reinstall X if that will solve the problem, but how to do so? I tried with aptitude but succeeded only in reinstalling the metapackage itself, without all of its dependencies.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Tyler