Sound issue: slow sound?

OK, weirdness here.

Running Sarge, all updates current. Only thing out of distro is OOo 2.0
from backports. Sound card uses snd-cmipci.

Recently, sound started misbehaving. First, sound would not only fail
to play, any application that called for use of sound would freeze,
only to die (in the case of Totem) on a kill -9. A reboot later, and it
now does play, but it sounds like a 33 rpm record knocked down to 16
rpm.

Since finding this problem, I've tried an apt-get --reinstall of
alsa-base, a --purge (and subsequent installation) of all alsa-related
items in my system (-base, -oss (which I think is required by xmms),
-utils, and mixergui), and likewise, a dpkg-reconfigure of everything
but alsamixergui - and none of these has helped.

What am I missing, where should I look for errors, and what more
information is needed for this problem?