Re: Backports -- limiting updates and pinning

Bill Moseley wrote:
> I installed Postgresql 8.1 backport a few days ago.  Today I did an
> upgrade on a Stable machine and it installed two *new* packages:
>
>     The following NEW packages will be installed:
>       libdns21 libisc11
>     The following packages have been kept back:
>       aspell
>     The following packages will be upgraded:
>       libisccfg1 lsb-base rsync
>
> Get:1 http://www.backports.org sarge-backports/main libisc11 1:9.3.2-1bpo1 [179kB]
> Get:2 http://www.backports.org sarge-backports/main libdns21 1:9.3.2-1bpo1 [532kB]
> Get:3 http://www.backports.org sarge-backports/main libisccfg1 1:9.3.2-1bpo1 [103kB]
>
> My question is: why are *new* packages from backports being installed?

If a package from backports requires packages that don't exist in Sarge,
it will pull in the new packages, even you have pinned backports low.
The reason is that if there are no packages by the proper name/version
available in Sarge, there is nothing for apt to prefer over whatever is
in backports.

> I had two Woody machines that had the same configuration, except one
> machine had a few backports.  When it came to upgrade to Sarge the
> one with Backports didn't cleanly upgrade.  So, I'm a little cautious
> of backports now.

Caution is a good thing :-)

Seriously, the people that upload backports are usually the maintainers
themselves, but of course they can't test every eventuality.  It sort of
comes with the territory.

> Following the instructions, here's how I installed Postgresql 8.1
>
>     deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
>
> and in preferences I added this to limit what is installed:
>
>     Package: *
>     Pin: release a=sarge-backports
>     Pin-Priority: 200
>
> Then installed postgresql with:
>
>     apt-get -t sarge-backports install postgresql-8.1 postgresql-server-dev-8.1
>

> Should I now comment out the deb line for backports once Postgresql is
> installed?

Only if you are not interested in finding out about upadtes.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto