Re: OT: Comparison of filesystems

On Thursday 27 April 2006 20:08, Mike McCarty
<Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> was heard to say:
> Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > I think I would prefer the decision to be based on time elapsed
> > since the last check - perhaps with a nag message so that I have
> > the option to defer till next time if I am short of time or
> > battery power. Of course that still only helps if you do reboot
> > occasionally.
> This actually makes a lot of sense.

"tune2fs" has this functionality. From the man page,
- -c max-mount-counts
              Adjust  the  maximal  mounts count between two
filesystem checks.  If max-mount-counts is 0 or -1, the number of
times the filesystem is mounted will be disregarded by e2fsck(8) and
the kernel.

- -i  interval-between-checks[d|m|w]
              Adjust  the  maximal  time between two filesystem
checks.  No postfix or d result in days, m in months, and w in
weeks.  A value of zero will disable the time-dependent checking.

              It is strongly recommended that either -c
(mount-count-dependent) or -i (time-dependent) checking be enabled
to force  periodic  full  e2fsck(8) checking of the filesystem.
Failure to do so may lead to filesystem corruption due to bad disks,
cables, memory, or kernel bugs to go unnoticed until they cause data
loss or corruption.

- -T time-last-checked
              Set  the  time  the filesystem was last checked using
e2fsck.  This can be useful in scripts which use a Logical
Volume Manager to make a consistent snapshot of a filesystem, and
then check the filesystem during off hours  to make sure it hasn't
been corrupted due to hardware problems, etc.  If the filesystem was
clean, then this option can be used to set the last checked time on
the original filesystem. The format  of  time-last-checked  is  the
international  date format, with an optional time specifier, i.e.
YYYYMMDD[[HHMM]SS].   The keyword now is also accepted, in which case
the last checked time will be set to the current time.

So it is possible to set a time interval, and tell it that that
interval has already been exceeded. At the same time, the remount
counter can be disabled.

As I mentioned, when I needed it I didn't know where to find this
information. I kept looking at the fsck program, which says only "run
me". Completely useless when it trusts the journal to be correct even
when you know the filesystem is having problems.

- --
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history

Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (GNU/Linux)