Re: Updating Network Install to Full Install

On 4/25/06, Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> wrote:

> The poster said in the original post that by "full" install he doesn't
> mean every possible Debian package, just "as if I'd installed everything from
> the DVD".
>
> And the reason given was, if I understood correctly, was to help avoid
> dependency problems when trying to install/build/develop software
> manually.

Thanks for the reply.  That does sum up what I want to do and why.
Unfortunately, it sounds like that's not possible at this time.

The next best thing would be to copy all the files from both DVDs to
the hard drive, and be able to apt-get anything from the hard drive,
unless the package has been updated, in which case copy the newer
version from a mirror.

I found this
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html

which seems to explain how to install debs from the hard drive if all
the debs are in one directory, but on the DVD they are all under a
directory called pool, some on each DVD, with many nested
sub-directories.  I could move them to one directory, but I'm guessing
that's not the best way or even a good way.

Also, it doesn't explain how to check a mirror before installing the
local copy of the package. I guess I could install the local copy and
the do an update from a mirror, but I'm guessing that's also not the
best way.

If anyone can suggest how to do one or both of these things, I'd
appreciate it.  Thanks again.

Gil