Re: Updating Network Install to Full Install

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 03:19:38PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Gil Citro wrote:
>
> >Second, what I'd like to do is wind up with a full install of Sarge,
> >as if I'd installed everything from the DVD. I have both DVDs from the
> >3.1r1 DVD set. Is there a way to install everything from the DVD
> >that's not already installed? I'm new to Debian and not sure how to do
> >this.
>
> A "full" install of Debian is rediculously large.  Debian has tens of
> thousands of packages, and many conflict.
>
> Why would you want to install massive amounts of software you're never
> going to use?
>
> Nate

The poster said in the original post that by "full" install he doesn't
mean every possible Debian package, just "as if I'd installed everything from
the DVD".

And the reason given was, if I understood correctly, was to help avoid
dependency problems when trying to install/build/develop software
manually.

If he has disk space to burn, and the Internet is not always readily
or economically available, then there is an argument for installing
as complete a system as possible.

I havn't done a comparison to see if the total number of installed
packages is different after a net install vs a DVD install, but if
they are not the same, then I think it is worthwhile to ask how
they can be made so.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com