Re: [OT] c programming mailing list

Mike McCarty wrote:
John Hasler wrote:
Juraj Fedel wrote:

I do not like to use newgroups

Why?

One reason I don't use them is that they cost additional money, whereas
e-mail comes with the ISP package.

Mike
You know there are any number of public usenet servers available? Some, I'm sure, are fly-by-night operations that wouldn't be worth bothering with, but others are long-term services dedicated to providing usenet access to people who can't otherwise get it or afford it. And at least some of them are used by hardcore usenet junkies who already have paid and ISP-provided access, just as a further supplement because they are very good. [These are the people for whom missing a post would be a tragedy that would ruin their week. :-) ]

DMOZ maintains a list of lists of public servers:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Public_News_Servers/

Triceron has a very good, well-maintained list of of public servers:
http://services.triceron.com/usenet/srvlist.php

And one (actually, three) of the best public servers in the U.S. is provided by Mike Howrath, who runs Octanews:
http://www.readfreenews.net/

You may have plenty of other reasons for not liking usenet, which is fine, but "it costs money" isn't really a valid reason.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson