Re: include ~/bin in $PATH under kde on debian (sarge)

Jon Dowland wrote:
At 1146072858 past the epoch, John Stumbles wrote:

On my system .[x|X]session doesn't exist by default, so
kde (or whatever is chosen at the start-session menu) is
getting started by some other mechanism.

Yes, KDM is calling startkde which in turn calls kdeinit.

Thanks. I have recently learned that, though I'm still trying to get my brain around what the various components do.

At the 'Start new session' option from the K menu the new
user has the option to choose the type of session (KDE,
Gnome etc) they want to run. I guess whatever is doing
this session management bypasses 'conventional' X session
startup methods.

What is the full range of options for type of session: there
should be an equivalent to gdm's "Default system session"
that executes $HOME/.xsession .

I have a menu of

Session Type
Remote Login
Console Login
Shutdown

Session Type -> submenu:
	Custom
	GNOME
	Failsafe

I can't see where that's configured (I've looked mainly in /etc/kde3/kdm/). In particular, I don't know what/where/how the 'Custom' Session Type is configured. I'm also in the dark about the 'Remote Login' option, and how 'Console Login' differs from Session Type -> Failsafe. (I haven't tried all the options: I'm still learning about Linux in general and Debian, KDE, KDM etc etc and there's so much to do, so little time to do it in :-()

John Stumbles