Re: include ~/bin in $PATH under kde on debian (sarge)

At 1146047983 past the epoch, John Stumbles wrote:
> I've googled www and usenet and searched debian lists but
> not found an answer to the question of setting the
> environment for my whole X session, not just for console
> session within X.

It depends entirely on which session manager is used or
which method of starting your session. If you create a
~/.xsession script which execs "startkde" you could specify
the PATH before that and have it inherited by startkde and
all subsequent processes. You then would need to instruct
your display manager (KDM?) to execute this. With GDM, you
would choose "default system session". I don't have KDM
handy to check.

Example .xsession:

	#!/bin/sh
	export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
	startkde

> I would also like to understand what happens when a gui
> session starts under kdm - what scripts etc get run?

The KDE sysadmin guide covers startup in this kind of
detail: <http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/startup.php>.
KDM calls startkde which calls kdeinit which is the magic X
process and spawns most of everything else.

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/