Re: partitioning for dual-linux..

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 05:29:19PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> Why bother with two side-by-side installs?  Just use Xen and then you
> can run multiple Linux (or BSD) domU's.  Of course, you will still need
> a separate partition for windows.

I have been using vmware when all I want to do is use an alternate system.
In particular, if I need to run a windows application then I would rather
run it in a VM sandbox than let it loose with complete control of the
machine. The ability to roll back changes by storing disk writes as
deltas is particularly reassuring when messing with windows. The windows
partition is mainly so that I can test hardware using the manufacturers
drivers and get service if there are demonstrable problems.

However in this case I want to be able to test updates/alternatives for
compatability with my hardware before committing to it for my day to
day work, and using a virtual machine won't achieve that.

As an example, currently I have a Debian install in one partition which
now fully utilizes my display hardware but cannot yet access the DVD,
and a Ubuntu install that can access the DVD successfully but can't run
the display at maximum (1280x764) resolution. Looking at what Ubuntu is
doing to access the DVD is a useful way to help diagnose the problem I
am having with Debian, and vice versa.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com