Re: ati fglrx and xorg 7.0.0

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:05:46 +0200
Ivan Glushkov <glushkov@mail.desy.de> wrote:

> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.

>   fglrx-driver: Depends: xserver-xorg (< 6.9.99)
> E: Broken packages
>
> So in the moment there is NO way to install fglrx drivers on debian/sid.
> As said in http://www.x.org/ an advantage of xorg 7 is the modularity,
> which is used in ubuntu, where already the package xorg-driver-fglrx
> exists. So the question is is an analogue package for Debian, and if
> not, what should I do to get fglrx installed on my laptop?

Maybe the drivers have been updated since you wrote this?

I am running Debian Unstable and the fglrx packages installed fine for
me and using make-kpkg to create the kernel modules package then
installing worked as well.

There seem to be some performance issues after doing this. Performance
on 3D stuff seems OK but for non 3D stuff there seems to be some issues.

So it seems there is some trade off in having good 3D or having
everything else work at the moment.

If you have a 9200 or less it shouldn't be an issue, just use the
mesa/DRI ATI driver that ships with Xorg.

If you have a card with an R300 chipset there is an experimental
branch of the mesa/dri  radeon driver that extends the ATI driver with
support for these.

http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/

There are instructions here:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download

: For installing binary snapshots, but they never seemed to work as it
was stated they should and with the move to X.org 7.x that seems to go
double.

If you do what it shows here:

http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7

: about the I915 driver:

"DRI with i915

libmesa stops working after upgrade to 7.* of XOrg with i915 driver
(and maybe some others). MESA in sid is too old. It is necessary to
download new drivers from [WWW] http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/
and copy *_dri.so files to /usr/lib/dri/. This is [WWW] bug# 359328"

You can do the same thing for the R300 driver. You might need to shut
down the X server and do a 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' afterwards.

For basic usage performance is good and stable. For 3D the
range of stuff that is supported is a question and I have had some lock
ups. The lock ups could be because the other mesa stuff really should
be upgraded as well not just the driver.

Not sure I really want to get into compiling the mesa CVS stuff. I
think newer mesa stuff is slated to be upgraded with X.org 7.1, but no
telling when that will be:

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/XSFTODO

Later, Seeker