Re: Playing midi?

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 05:44, Wulfy wrote:

> Hmm...  I know a little about midi, but not much.  Since I'm able to
> play it with some application, I should think it would be possible with
> any...  I have the same problem with the Control Centre...  I've read
> cryptic mentions of "sound fonts" but have never been able to find any
> to try...  that may be why I can't make it work.
>
> > [...]

Soundfonts are .sf2 files which can be used by softsynths like fluidsynth or
timidity to generate midi sounds. You can get them for nothing (e.g.
www.hammersound.net) but they are not distributable with Debian.

Timidity by default uses the freepats package of GUS patches, a much more
limited soundfont format, but it can be configured to use .sf2. If you have
timidity working, I think you must already have at least freepats installed
already.

>[...]
> I'm back to only Timidity playing midis, but without KMid throwing an
> error...  some progress, at least!

On reading your posts, I got Kmid working with timidity by running

# timidity -iA  -Os

which starts it in ALSA server mode, and outputs to ALSA as well.

Then I had to use the aconnectgui program to hook up the midi through port to
the input of timidity. I'm sure there must be a command-line way to do this,
maybe a timidity option I've missed?

After this Kmid worked. The same procedure worked for qsynth (a gui for
fluidsynth), but this connected to Kmid through its menu option of Midi
Setup, and seemed to use less CPU power.

Hope this is useful,

John