Re: wandering network inferfaces

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 07:24:28AM +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:
>I am having a small problem with the networking on the Debian Etch
>system I have installed on my Fujitsu P7120 notebook...
>
>The notebook has both wired and a wireless, with the wireless interface
>sometimes showign up as eth1, and sometimes as eth2.
>
>I just booted with /etc/network/interfaces specifying eth2 as the
>device to be configured with DHCP, but it didn't work because eth1 was
>the wireless interface. I edit the file to change it to eth1 and
>reboot, and sure enough now the wireless interface has changed to eth2
>:-/
>I change /etc/network/interfaces back and on my third attempt am
>successful, but it is a bit of a tedious way to boot the system.
>
>Does this indicate a problem, or have I omitted some aspect of the
>configuration?

There is no problem, it has happened to others on the list. There was a
post on the list on solving it not so long ago.

I solved it by having my wireless turn up as wlan0. For my card that's
controlled with an option to the driver. I just stuck the line

 options rt2500 ifname=wlan%d

in a file in /etc/modprobe.d/. I'm not sure if other drivers support
doing the same.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Good powers of observation are frequently called "cynicism" by those
that don't have them.