Re: How to auto start Firestarter?

On 4/23/06, Matthew R. Dempsky <mrd@alkemio.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 11:03:46AM -0700, lmyho wrote:
> > Just checked, yes I have S20firestarter in rc2.d.  But I have no idea about the
> > rc*.d directories?  What are they for?  How does this link I have affect the start
> > of firestarter at bootup?
>
> The short story is that any script symlinked into /etc/rc2.d will get
> executed while your system boots up.  (The long story involves sysvinit,
> runlevels, and a few other concepts that I'm not well suited to
> explain.)
>
> Since you have that symlink, I expect it should start the firestarter
> daemon at boot time.  How are you checking that it's not running?
>
> Does ``invoke-rc.d firestarter start'' or ``invoke-rc.d firestarter
> restart'' get it going?
>

> --

I've got the same problem.  A symlink for firestarter is in the rcN.d
directories and it even shows up as started in the bootlog.  But it
doesn't show up in the process list until I manually start it.  That
plus it seems to have a memory leak are making investigate other
firewall options.

Can anyone reccomend a firewall that doesn't suck up memory and cause
system instability after long uptimes?

--
swk