Re: linux-image package /boot/config file not re-usable for a compilation of linux-source package

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:26:39AM -0500, David McGiven wrote:
  <snip about d/l sources and kernel image>
> I copied the config file to the source directory
>
> cp /tmp/boot/config-2.6.15-1-686-smp /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15
>
> cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15
>
> make oldconfig
>
> And now it asks me for HEAPS of questions.
>
> How is this possible ? The config file that comes with the binary package
> is supposed to be from the same version as the kernel source package. Why
> it asks those questions about old and new config parameters then ?

I believe the answer you're looking for is in the copy command.  make
<foo>config expects the config to be in ./.config so your compy command
should look like this:
cp /tmp/boot/config-2.6.15-1-686-smp /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15/.config

Might I also suggest for when you do further editting to pare down your
kernel that you install libncurses5-dev and use 'make menuconfig' rather
than using just 'make config' -- there is also an xconfig target but I
don't know the requirements for that (something*qt*something-dev
probably).

And remember when you use make-kpkg to include the '--initrd' flag if
you're mostly using Debian's config.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
Q:	What is printed on the bottom of beer bottles in Minnesota?